Get access to all lessons in this course.
The Glamour of Graphics
The shape of data
- Chart types
- How to choose a chart
- Visual metaphor
- Memorability vs. speed of comprehension
- Identifying your audience
- Data encoding process
- Grids, borders, lines
- Grids, borders, lines, and axes examples and exercises
- White space
- Charts in larger layouts
- Alignment, white space, and layout of multiple plots examples and exercises
- What is typography and why does it matter?
- Typographic hierarchy
- Font styles
- Good fonts and where to find them
- Using custom fonts in R examples and exercises
- ggtext examples and exercises
- Pairing fonts
- Typography beyond charts
- Color palettes
- Color examples and exercises
- Color models
- HCL color palettes in ggplot examples and exercises
- The color wheel
- Color and emotion
- The eyedropper tool and color inspiration
- Combining ggplot with a vector editor
- Resizing plots for export
- Finding inspiration
This lesson is locked
This lesson is called Visual metaphor, part of the The Glamour of Graphics course. This lesson is called Visual metaphor, part of the The Glamour of Graphics course.
Click on the transcript to go to that point in the video. Please note that transcripts are auto generated and may contain minor inaccuracies.
If you prefer podcast form, Alli Torban's Data Viz Today has an interview with Valentina D'Efilippo about using visual metaphor to evoke emotion.