Lesson 14 of 33
In Progress

group_by

Your Turn

Complete the group_by sections of the data-wrangling-and-analysis-exercises.Rmd file.

Solutions
Learn More

General Data Wrangling and Analysis Resources

Because most material that discusses data wrangling and analysis with the dplyr packges does so in a way that covers all of the verbs discussed in this course, I have chosen not to separate them by lesson. Instead, here are some helpful resources for learning more about all of the tidyverse verbs discussed in this course:

Chapter 5 of R for Data Science

RStudio Cloud primer on working with data

Tidyverse for Beginners by Danielle Navarro

Learning Statistics with R by Danielle Navarro

Introduction to the Tidyverse by Alison Hill

A gRadual intRoduction to data wRangling by Chester Ismay and Ted Laderas

Working in the Tidyverse by Desi Quintans and Jeff Powell

Christine Monnier video tutorials on dplyr

Have any questions? Put them below.

  1. Hello, I have a question. how could I get the subtotals by group on the same DF that we obtain when we use de group by + summarise?

    We get something like this, but i would like to see on the same table the sub totals (by gender) and the grand total (which should by 10.000)

    female Looking 6.940299 135
    female NotWorking 7.094077 1732
    female Working 6.909353 2086
    female NA NaN 1067
    male Looking 7.147727 176
    male NotWorking 7.101619 1115
    male Working 6.736634 2527
    male NA 6.000000 1162

  2. Hey, I am getting the follow message in my console when I run anything with groupby

    ## `summarise()` has grouped output by ‘gender’. You can override using the `.groups` argument.

    The output seems fine and I googled to find a way to suppress it (message = FALSE) but just want to double check that nothing is wrong.

      1. That’s perfect. Good to know that I can sort of toggle between keeping the group or not, depending on the need.

        So, if I’m getting it correctly, I should basically add .groups = “keep” when I want all groups to show (which is probably the vast majority of the time) but if I wanted a single specific detail, like a max, I would want the groups to be dropped, right?

        And at a much more basic level, I shouldn’t even really worry about it (i.e. keep default arguments) if I don’t really care about the message popping up, right? (…as I can usually suppress it with message = FALSE)

        1. Yeah, I’d say mostly just don’t even worry about it. I never set anything, as I’ve been using R long enough that it wasn’t an option when I started so I just don’t think in that way. I’d say go with whatever works best for you. And yes, no need to worry about the message.

          1. Hey David and Blayne,

            I wanted to chime in on the .groups argument of summarise(). It’s currently labelled “lifecycle:experimental” which means theoretically how it works could change, and there’s a small chance the feature would be removed. I’m grumpy about this feature and deliberately don’t use it, but that’s my personal opinion.

  3. Hello! I was doing the exercises without a problem, but all of the sudden at this stage (when I try to use “group by” am getting a repeated error message, “Error: attempt to use zero-length variable name.” And I just closed and reopened but now nothing seems to be working.
    nhanes %>%
    group_by(gender) %>%
    Error: attempt to use zero-length variable name

    (I know that I’m a bit behind this week, so don’t expect a quick answer!)

    In my code, also, the variables and such use capital letters rather than underscores. I believe you mentioned this syntax difference in class but cannot remember whether it is an issue. Thank you!

    1. It’s hard to say without seeing your full code, but I’m guessing this is because you didn’t use the clean_names() function when you read in your nhanes object and so the variable name is Gender with a capital G. If you want to post your full code as a GitHub Gist and then post the link in response I can confirm if that’s the issue.

      1. Thank you, David!
        I think the problem might have been me just messing up the “`{r] by accident…I did rerun the clean_names() function and load all my packages again today. And things seem to be working now. Thanks so much.